Monday, January 14, 2008

Amy Fidge's sampler

Well this is slightly off the point, what with it not being a textile character, but it is textiles, and it is very beautiful. I adore the colours, and I like the name Amy Fidge. It's from my Grandmas house - Grandma died last week, so it is fitting that I found this today. I am going to frame it and put it on the wall with some of my other collections.

UPDATE: I found the school where this was made (good old internet), St Eanswythes in Folkstone, Kent, and, much as I would love to keep it, I sent a message to the headmistress and I'm going to parcel it up and send it back to the school. I remember how much I loved these kind of things when I was at primary school, real, personal history. Double good job that I have a record of here so I can still enjoy it.

DOUBLE UPDATE: The headmistress has sent me start of the research into Amy Fidge, they have found where she lived and it seems that she went into service when she was 14.
This has inspired me to do some cross stitch and embroidery, I am hatching all sorts of plans!

No comments: